Sunday, January 29, 2012
Sunday, January 22, 2012
As it has turned out, it has proved to be very comfortable and it is great to be on site with the build in progress. The previous owner, Phil Warner, actually put a lot of thought and effort into this shack, lining one of the 20ft shipping containers with 1.5” thick foam on all the walls and ceiling and carpeted the floor. This container has become the bedroom quarters for us all as the insulation seems perfect for the autumn and winter ahead of us. The wood stove also backs onto this container, keeping the boys in their bunks lovely and toasty. Graeme also cut a small window hole in the wall to allow light into this area…a revolting job, using an angle grinder to cut through the metal and foam, but a great result.
The central living area originally had carpet laid on gravel, but due to the wetter than wet winter, by the time we came down in September to sort things out the carpet was so mouldy…never knew mould came in so many colours. We ripped that out quick smart and let the gravel dry out until our move in November. Graeme then laid plywood on the gravel and we managed to pick up some brand new thick carpet up from the Glenorchy tip shop. A huge improvement and instant cosy feel to the shack.
The long kitchen bench that Phil had fitted, now boasts a shelf underneath it and little curtains that I made to make it look neat. That area now acts as a storage area for pots and pans, cleaning gear and as a pantry. Our sunken bath also attracts a lot of attention from visitors and lizards! Whilst we still have to boil up the water in situ, the drainage is plumbed out into the bushes. Thanks Phil!
The back wall used to be a plastic café blind with a huge drop of thick carpet, but Graeme has replaced this with a window we also picked up from the tip shop. This will give us better protection from the weather, provide additional warmth in winter when the sun shines, allow us to see the house site and has instantly given us much more light in both the living area and bedroom.
The recent improvement to the shack is an outdoor awning that Graeme has built at the front, roofed in laserlite. This has extended our living area by an extra 30 sq mtrs! We can leave the Weber BBQ out and not get so wet when coming home in the rain – also the washing machine is now under cover.
Getting into the property proved to be a challenge with the sodden dirt driveway being cut up each time a concrete truck arrived, resulting in the last truck not being able to deliver the last load of concrete. That was back in May 2011. Fast forward to November 2011, around about our arrival date, the last load finally got poured, after the driveway was repaired yet again. The builder told us that by pouring the top layer with a big break in between would make a really hard surface in the long run, but to be honest we could have done without the grief. Building commenced in December with 95% of the work completed by early January. The alternate guttering Graeme ordered is proving to be the final challenge in completing the shed.
About a week before we left for Tasmania, the semi-trailer picked up our worldly possessions and transported them down to the docks. We assumed the container arrived before we did in Tasmania. Currently it is still at the docks in Hobart, awaiting the site to be prepared next to the shed.